Saturday, February 19, 2011

Commentating Cliches

I watch a lot of gymnastics. There are a lot of different commentators with different styles, but there are some quotes that crop up quite a lot. Commentators always want to have something to say, since they are pretty much paid to talk. There seem to be some sayings that they feel that they always need to say.

If I actually drank alcohol, I think I could make a drinking game about for each gymnastics meet.

I list some of these below.

On events...
  • On floor, you can let your personality shine out.
  • Beam is the most difficult event to start on, because the adrenaline means that it is hard to stay on.
  • Vault is a great event to start on, because it lets you get some of your energy out of the way.
  • In bars, it is important to hit all those handstands.
On elite gymnastics
  • Three up and three count. That is a lot of pressure.
  • Yuchenko double. We are going to see a lot of those today.
On college gymnastics
  • In college gymnastics, it is all about the team.
  • When you make a mistake, you know that your team is behind you.
  • Yuchenko full. We are going to see a lot of those today.
Just generally
  • On all events: It is important to stick that landing (you could argue that in elite, sticking the landing is less important than it used to be).
  • Right now, this gymnast is probably mentally visualizing their routine.
  • Both/all the teams in this meet want to win (well, obviously).

1 comment:

  1. Some of these are so true! I found your site while looking for gymnastics drinking games and ended up on this page. Can't to wait to look around at the rest! I also linked back this page on my blog. If you would like it removed, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete